The Columbia High School debate team was named State Debate Champions in the Medium Schools division of the 2019 Idaho High School Activities Association (IHSAA) state tournament. The team is coached by Jeffrey Stoppenhagen.
Individual results are as follows:
- Elbie Seibert, (sr.), second place in Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- Kelsey Kotts (sr.) and Benjaman Smoldon (sr.), ninth place in Public Forum Debate
- Avery Thiel (jr.), Congressional Debate participant
- Kasey Moulton (jr.), Lincoln-Douglas Debate participant
This is the sixth-straight state trophy placement for Columbia High. Previous placements were:
- State Speech Champions, 2016
- State Debate Champions, 2017
- State Speech, 2nd place, 2017
- State Debate, 3rd place, 2018
- State Speech, 2nd place, 2018
Columbia will compete in the District 3 Speech Tournament on Saturday, April 6, at Skyview High School. Top placements in that tournament will compete at IHSAA State Speech Championships on Friday and Saturday, April 12-13, at Rocky Mountain High School in Meridian.
In addition, Columbia qualified five students who will attend the National Speech and Debate Championships this coming June in Dallas, Texas. They will join more than 6,000 other students from across the country competing for a national title and scholarships.
- Elbie Seibert (sr.), Original Oratory
- Kasey Moulton (jr.), Informative Speaking
- Benjaman Smoldon (sr.), World Schools Debate
- Brynn Lybbert (jr.) and Annika Voss (jr.), Duo Interpretation