Jeffrey Stoppenhagen, who teaches at Columbia, Nampa and Skyview high schools, has been recognized by the National Speech & Debate Association for his exemplary volunteerism to promote speech and debate. He serves on the Idaho Gem of the Mountain District Committee, which manages local speech and debate activities.
In announcing the award, presenter said that, “Jeffrey goes above and beyond in service to the speech and debate community at large.”
Committee member responsibilities include:
- Expanding access to speech and debate by recruiting new programs.
- Providing ongoing mentorship for first time coaches as they learn the ropes.
- Organizing and hosting local tournaments.
- Communicating with local coaches about upcoming events and rules.
- Coordinating recognition opportunities for students and coaches across the district.
In addition, this spring Jeff was tapped to help make difficult decisions about tournament operations for the safety and well-being of students throughout our district. “In these challenging times, the leadership and input that he offers our national organization is more valuable than ever,” presenters said. “While this spring hasn't gone the way we expected, one thing we know for sure is that Jeffrey has made a big difference in the lives of students this year.”
We are proud to celebrate the commitment that Jeff has made to help our students access speech and debate.